Wednesday, January 30, 2008

don't break the ice



On an other BMX note, did you ever see that movie “RAD”? Well I’ve watched it thousands of times and there is that song at the beginning “Don’t break the Ice”. It has taken 15 years to experience the importance of that song. A few days ago I walked across a two mile lake! Back and forth! It was the scariest thing I have ever done.

What happened was I was out on a walk trying to get out of the giant building and connect with nature. I made it to the lake and saw that it was frozen solid. Im from Arizona originally so frozen things are of great interest to me. One time a friend and I walked across one of the ponds at New Vrindaban.

Here I went out on the ice and I met Brenda from my yoga class. She is very quiet woman who I haven’t spoken to much. I dared her to walk across the lake. So we both decided to take the challenge. It took an hour or more. We walked in great fear light footed and shallow breathed. Do you know that sound in those sci fi films of unseen life forms woowoomp woowoomp woowoomp? After some time we realized that it was the sound of air being released from cracks in the ice.



We wanted to turn around every few minutes but felt so much excitement meeting our fears. It was so much fun. We reverted back to our child inside. One time I dared Brenda to jump on a big crack on the ice and she did. Nothing happened until I stepped forward and we heard the sound of cracking ice. We both screamed and started walking faster and softer towards the shore. The sun peeked through the clouds and the ice started cracking more and more as we walked and the woowoomp sounds became louder and more frequent. After a half hour of great terror we made it to the shore where we were greeted with dark chocolates and hugs from other members of our class.

No comments: